All you need to know about spinning wool--from sheep to knits!
Spinners have been creating beautiful yarns from wool for thousands of years, but we still have unanswered questions. How do you choose a fleece? Should you process your fleece by hand or send it to a mill? What kind of prepared fibers are available, and what should you do with them? Fiber artist and shepherdess Kate Larson answers these and many other questions in The Practical Spinner's Guide: Wool. Topics include:
• An overview of sheep breeds and the characteristics of their fleece
• Washing, carding, combing, and blending fibers
• Purchasing and working with prepared fibers
• Techniques for spinning and plying wool to achieve the right yarn for your projects
• Advice on caring for fibers to protect them from unwanted pests and other problems
Whether you're working with fleeces sheared from your own flock or spinning indie dyed fibers, you'll find a wealth of useful, valuable, and practical information in The Practical Spinner's Guide: Wool.