36 gauge / 2x2x2x2 barbs / 3 inch length (8cm) / star
Use Red for both medium and coarse wool. Star needles with four sides have high barb density, but still penetrate firm felt easily.
Red is great for:
- to easily penetrate firmer felt.
- to harden light and moderate density felt in both sculptural and flat felting projects using both stabbing and jiggling actions to the full depth of the felt.
- to form balls for early stages of sculpturing and to quickly get finer fibres started.
- to blend flat felt pieces together, including patching holes, using a shallow stabbing action.
- for joining thicker yarns. If the Red needle is too coarse or it's action too aggressive, try Peach, which works in a similar way to Red, but is finer.