Discover the world of wild fibers with our special 15th anniversary issue!
Travel to South Georgia in the shadows of Antarctica and learn about one man's efforts to develop seal wool into a luxury fiber in the late 1700s. Learn about an extraordinary non-profit in nothern Madagascar, trying to battle corruption and illegal trade in rosewood by cultivating wild silkworms. Jump on board The Livestock Conservancy's new Shave'em to Save'em Program to help nearly 20 endangered sheep breeds, and much, much more.
Travel to Russia's Wrangel Island, three hundred miles north of the Arctic Circle. Known as the polar bear nursery of the world, approximately one thousand muskoxen live on this remote, yet surprisingly colorful tundra (in the summer.) Learn how muskox are adapting to climate change, and the soaring price of their precious qiviut.
* Where to find some of the finest American cashmere.
* Drop-spinning on a volcanic island in Indonesia
* Resurrecting flax in the Pacific northwest
* Valais blacknose sheep, the "cutest sheep in the world"
* Looking back fifty years with Schacht Spindle Co. and Oomingmak, The Musk Ox Producers Co-op
* and so much more